Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Breaking Down The Sharks Off-Season Acquisitions

By Robert Hazou

Finally the Sharks have made some off-season moves after missing the playoffs for the first time since 2003. I think Wilson finally realized that if he did not make any moves he would be fired. (Wish he still was fired, but I will give up on that wish) Below are my thoughts on the big 3 players the Sharks have picked up during the free agency frenzy.

Joel Ward is one player I always wanted on the Sharks, but never thought it would happen. I was overjoyed when I heard the news that the Sharks signed him. Many fans may hate/question this move and I can see why. The team however does need a player like Ward. Not only is he great in the playoffs, but he is one gritty player which the Sharks lack. Trading Dejardins and Burns moving to defense really hurt the physical and aggressive play of the Sharks. Only Wingels was left as our primary physical player due to Torres and Brown still battling injury at that time. Now that we have Ward in the mix, and a possibly healthy Torres the Sharks may be back to their aggressive ways. Ward is also a nice veteran to have around, and he should be able to help our promising young core develop past the Marleau/Thornton era. Joel Ward may be getting up there in age, but he still one heck of a player!

Paul Martin is the veteran defencemen I have long waited for. I really dislike Burns on defense especially because of all the turnovers he had this past season. To me he is too reckless, and needs someone to control him. I am still not sold on Dillon, and he better prove to me that he was worth that foolish 5 year deal. The blue line has always needed help ever since the end of the 2013-2014 season, and Martin helps it get a little better. I have followed Martin ever since he started is career with the Devils, and I know how significant he was to the Penguins defense so I know what he will be able to bring to our struggling defense. Why I love Martin on the Sharks is because he can be the one to help control Burns, and clear the puck out of the zone which was a problem last season. Now the team does not need to rely on Vlasic with Martin in the mix because he can play a lot of minutes despise his age. Sharks still need to add another player to the blue line as Mueller and Tennyson will battle it out for the final spot, but I do not like relying on two rushed rookies entering their 2nd season to play on the defense. If only Doug Wilson did not give Dan Boyle the boot. I already love Martin because of how he praises a few members of the teams and how he wants fans to buy his jerseys instead of our other veterans. Do not worry Martin this guy will buy your jersey!

For the last of the three off-season players the Sharks have picked up we have Martin Jones! For the longest time (about 5 months) I have been saying Jonathan Bernier will be the Sharks next goaltender. Wilson had said that we have our eyes on someone who is not on the radar. I never thought that Martin Jones was the target. I thought the Kings would resign him to continue to be a solid backup for Quick. Being a Sharks fan I know just how well he was as a backup, and being young he still has his better years ahead of him. Yes the price the Sharks paid for him is high, and starting him is a high risk high reward, but if you look at our goalies we really had no choice. Grosenick and Dell still need a year or two in the AHL, and do not get me started on how terrible Alex Stalock is. Jones has my support one-hundred percent though and I am confident he will be one of the best goalies in Sharks history. It seems like many teams are now giving young goalies with barely any experience a shot at being the starter. So far it is looking good for those teams, and I have a good feeling it will work for the Sharks too. I will always miss Nemo, but the Jones era should be a good one especially since it starts in LA against his former team.

Do I think the three major pickups this off-season will help the Sharks get back into the playoffs? Of course I do, and this is just the beginning. Soon a new captain will finally be named, and the surge of young guns we have will continue for years to come. Keep your heads up fellow Sharks fans the future looks bright! Next time I will discuss my opinions on the players who got new deals, and the players who were let go along with a few minor pickups. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment